“Mold can also be completely harmless, but in some situations, it can be truly deadly.” (Dr. Travis Stork, E.R. Physician)
“One study found a child’s risk of asthma can double from simply smelling mold.” (Dr. Jim Sears, Pediatrician)
Most homes and buildings have mold because they offer the three ingredients mold needs to grow:
Food, which includes materials high in cellulose content such as paper and wood. Drywall, wallpaper, carpet, ceiling tiles, dust, and dirt, are also food sources for mold.
Temperatures of 41 degrees to 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit present the perfect environment for mold.
Finally, water is the key ingredient. Mold can not grow without moisture. Where there is moisture, you will find mold. This is one of the reasons that leaking pipes, roofs and ceiling, sewer backups, floods, and condensation end up causing mold issues.
Mold is a concern because we spend up to 90 percent of our time indoors, creating a situation ripe for health issues.
Mycotoxins are naturally occurring substances produced by mold and are pathogenic to animals and humans.
In fact, the T-2 mycotoxin, is so toxic that it has been used in war time situations as a biological war agent. In aerosol form it is referred to as “yellow rain” and was used in Vietnam, Laos, and several other wars.
Some molds, particularly stachybotrys (black mold) and aspergillus are very toxic and constant exposure can lead to serious health issues.
Health risks from mold increase in areas where the relative humidity is above 55%, primarily because higher humidity means higher moisture and mold thrives in this climate.