“Mold can also be completely harmless, but in some situations, it can be truly deadly.” (Dr. Travis Stork, E.R. Physician)
“One study found a child’s risk of asthma can double from simply smelling mold.” (Dr. Jim Sears, Pediatrician)
Most homes and buildings have mold because they offer the three ingredients mold needs to grow:
Food, which includes materials high in cellulose content such as paper and wood. Drywall, wallpaper, carpet, ceiling tiles, dust, and dirt, are also food sources for mold. Temperatures of 41 degrees to 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit present the perfect environment for mold. Finally, water is the key ingredient. Mold can not grow without moisture. Where there is moisture, you will find mold. This is one of the reasons that leaking pipes, roofs and ceiling, sewer backups, floods, and condensation end up causing mold issues. Mold is a concern because we spend up to 90 percent of our time indoors, creating a situation ripe for health issues.
Ten Health Conditions Caused By Mold
Mycotoxins are naturally occurring substances produced by mold and are pathogenic to animals and humans.
In fact, the T-2 mycotoxin, is so toxic that it has been used in war time situations as a biological war agent. In aerosol form it is referred to as “yellow rain” and was used in Vietnam, Laos, and several other wars.
Some molds, particularly stachybotrys (black mold) and aspergillus are very toxic and constant exposure can lead to serious health issues.
Health risks from mold increase in areas where the relative humidity is above 55%, primarily because higher humidity means higher moisture and mold thrives in this climate.
Mold is toxic and can cause the following ten health conditions:
- Pulmonary hemorrhage or pulmonary hemosiderosis (primarily in infants)
- Nose bleeds
- Immune system suppression (resulting in increasing numbers of infections)
- Hair loss
- Chronic fatigue
- Psychological depression
- Sore throats
- Headaches and other flu-like symptoms
Top Ten Mold Prevention Tips Prescribed By The Doctors TV Show
Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
Reduce indoor humidity (30 to 60 percent is recommended) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, need to be replaced.
Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (e.g., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof or floors) by adding insulation.
In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (e.g., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, provided moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.